We have selected Imai Ryosetsu's calligraphic work “Way” as the symbolic image of our research branding project.
Imai Ryosetsu is a prominent calligrapher and former professor at Daito Bunka University.
Imai Ryosetsu, Calligrapher and Former Professor at Daito Bunka University
Duration of Working at Daito Bunka University
- Born in Nara Prefecture.
- Studies calligraphy under Nakatani Fuso
- Studies calligraphy under Tsujimoto Shiyu
- Displays his work at the Exhibition of 20 Modern Calligraphers (subsequently participates on 24 occasions)
- Produces a large-scale work of calligraphy on the wall in a multipurpose hall at the Japan World Exposition in Osaka.
- Professor at Tokyo University of Education (–1976)
- Professor at University of Tsukuba (–1986)
- Professor at Daito Bunka University (–1991)
Director at the Institute for Calligraphy (–1989)
- Passes away at the age of 88
- Nara Prefecture Culture Award
- Nitten Exhibition Minister of Education Award
- The Imperial Prize and the Japan Art Academy Prize
- Third Order of the Sacred Treasure
Main Commissioned Works of Calligraphy
- Signboard for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology
- Framed sign of the Suzaku Gate at the Heijo Palace Remains
- Titles of the following films:
- Ran by Kurosawa Akira
- Dreams by Kurosawa Akira
- Madadayo by Kurosawa Akira
- Letter from the Mountains by Koizumi Takashi