the Global navigation

Student Life

How to

the body

What is the average cost of living in Japan?

Average living cost is estimated 70,000 to 100,000 yen per month, including rent, utilities and food expenses.

What is Alien Registration?

All non-Japanese staying in Japan must register within 90 days of arrival in Japan without fail. For this registration, you need to fill in an "Application for Alien Registration" and submit two copies of your photograph taken within the last six months (4.5 cm X 3.5 cm in size) in person at your local city office. You also need to bring your passport with you at registration. The Certificate of Foreign Resident Registration will take about two weeks to be issued. After your certificate is issued, you are required to keep it with care, to carry it with you all times and to present it to immigration offices, police and other officials when requested. If any information in the certificate change such as status, period of stay, or address, you will need to apply for change of registration within 14 days of such change. When leaving the country (except for those who have a re-entry permit), you must return your certificate to the immigration officials.

What procedure is necessary to go back to my home country during break?

When you wish to leave Japan for a short period of time, please inform the International Center. It is extremely important for you to get a Re-entry Permit to Japan from the Tokyo Immigration Bureau (TIB) before leaving Japan. If you go out of Japan without getting this permit, you will lose your visa status and need to complete the procedures for re-entry all over again.

Re-entry permit has two types; single entry, and multiple entries which allow you to enter during the effective period. Fee for issuance of the two permits are different.

Are international students allowed to work part-time?

Maximum hours for part-time work is 28 hours per week, and 8 hours per day when school is closed. If you wish to engage in part-time work, you must obtain a permission from the TIB. Hours, location, and contents of part-time job are restricted even with the permission.

What is National Health Insurance?

The National Health Insurance system is one that protects you from expenses incurred from illness or accident. All registered foreign residents residing in Japan for one year or more are required to enroll in this program. Your out-of-pocket expense is 30 % of the actual cost. You can apply for this insurance after alien registration application, and you will need to pay the insurance fee. The cost for the National Health Insurance will be around 20,000 yen for a year.

Can I open a bank account in Japan?

International students can have a bank account in Japan. Please inquire the International Center for questions regarding how to open an account or how to use ATM machine.

What is Inkan (seal)?

It is customary in Japan to own one or more personal seals (Inkan) engraved with the last and/or first name (mostly last name) of an individual. This is used in much the same way as a signature.

Can I drink tap water?

Japan's water supply is disinfected so it is safe to drink from the tap. When using water for the first time, contact the Waterworks Section with your name and address. Your water bill will be a total of basic water use fee and the amount of water used.

What is the payment method for utilities?

You can make your utilities (electricity, gas, water, telephone bills) payment in any convenience stores. You can also set up an automatic withdrawal from your bank account with the utility companies. Application for automatic withdrawal can be done at your bank or post office for post office account.

Please tell me about garbage collection system.

Collection places and days for household garbage is designated by local government. Please inquire your local city office or real estate agency. Garbage is collected in four categories: burnable, unburnable, recyclable and over-sized. Recyclables include papers (newspapers, magazines, cardboards etc.), cans, jars, plastic containers, batteries etc.

Please tell me about earthquake.

Japan is prone to earthquakes. Although small earthquakes occur often, major earthquakes which cause buildings to fall are not frequent. If you are in a building when earthquake occurs, you should first put off any fire that you are using, then go under a desk or table immediately to protect yourself from fallen furniture. After earthquake, any TV station broadcasts related information. It is important to be prepared, such as making your furniture earthquake –proof.

How is climate in Japan?

Temperature and humidity change drastically in each four seasons in Japan. June is the rainy season with high humidity and allow mildew to grow. Keep rooms well-ventilated throughout the year by opening your windows when it is sunny, and also use a dehumidifier to prevent mildew growth.

What should I do in case of emergency?

If you experience any accidents, contact police or fire department as below.

Crime/Theft/Traffic Accident
110 (toll-free)
119 (toll-free)